Drug and Alcohol Resource Coordinator: MS
About Dean Brouder
Website Maintained By:
Methuen High School Media Assistant
Mission Statement & Policies:
Methuen Public Schools recognizes the priority of promoting a drug-free school community. We are committed to raising awareness of the dangers of the illicit use of drugs and alcohol and strive to support students in making healthy and safe lifestyle choices. Our objective is to collaborate among students, staff, families, and the community to effectively attain goals that value responsibility, productivity, and achievement. This web page is intended for the entire Methuen school community to access information and resources helpful in maintaining our mission.
***Click to access the MPS Potential Substance Abuse Referral Form Updated: January, 2017***
Methuen Public Schools Cable Show- "Let's Talk with Dean Brouder" is broadcasted on the Educational Channel, Comcast Xfinity Channel 99, Verizon Channel 31. Click here to watch recent episodes online.
Click here to view recent social media posts relevant to the Drug and Alcohol Resources community.
- “Making Pain a Vital Sign Caused the Opioid Crisis. Here’s How”. THOMAS D. GUASTAVINO, MD | PHYSICIAN | www.kevinmd.com
- "The Science of Drug Use: Discussion Points” | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- “Huge drug bust linked to New England nets over $4.1M and 6 pounds of heroin”-NH1.com
- “Health Consequences of Drug Abuse"-www.whitesandstreatment.com
- Monitoring the Future 2016 Survey Results | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness | Mental Health By the Numbers
- Pharma Execs Arrested in Shockingly Organized Scheme to Overprescribe Notorious Opioid
- “How to Spot a Drug Addict in the Family: What to Look for”-BLVD Treatment Centers
- Halfway House and Sober Living Homes: A Behind the Scenes Look - Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide
- Heroin is Top Drug Threat in United States: DEA - Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide
- Where do the presidential candidates stand on treating drug addiction? | PBS NewsHour
- Why Is a drug 8 times Stronger Than Heroin, But Legal In Most States – womenhealthbenefits
- Opioid epidemic’s newest killer is 10,000 times stronger than morphine- The Boston Globe
- Narcan tapped, arrests made in 3 separate Methuen overdose calls | News | eagletribune.com
- High School and Youth Trends | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- "Zoloft - Common Side Effects, Diagnosis & Legal Claims"-www.drugdangers.com
- "Risperdal Illegally Marketed To Children"-www.drugdangers.com
- 6 Key Elements of CARA-addictionpolicy.org
- Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Brain and Cognitive Development (ABCD Study) | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Adolescent Substance Use: America’s #1 Public Health Problem-centeronaddiction.org
- Five Ways to Prevent Substance Abuse in Your Teenager-ouryoungaddicts.com
- Proof that Addiction is a Disease and How it Affects the Brain - Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide
- Two 8th Graders Die From 'Pinky' Overdose, Officials
- Participant Recruitment Now Underway for Landmark Study on Adolescents | Nora's Blog, NIDA
- Fentanyl-laced street drugs “kill hundreds” - The Lance
- Recruitment begins for landmark study of adolescent brain development | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Risperdal Illegally Marketed To Children - Drug Dangers
- Depression and Substance Abuse: The Chicken or the Egg? | Psych Central
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: 'Twice The Stress Of Average Parents'
- Parent of an addict:“A LETTER FROM HEAVEN”
- "From Addiction to Recovery, Step by Step Instructions on Beating Heroin"
- Everyday Recovery Newsletter - September 2, 2016 -Everyday Recovery celebrates the more than 23 million Americans and their families who are living in recovery. Through raising awareness and sharing recovery stories, we hope to decrease stigma surrounding addiction and encourage those struggling with this disease to seek recovery supports available in their communities.
- Everyday Recovery is a campaign from Faces & Voices of Recovery and the Addiction Policy Forum.
- Is My Child Just Experimenting? -cathytaughinbaugh.com- “Helping parents find peace’
- How to Save a Life From Heroin Overdose: And Info on Detox Centers and Treatment --Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide
- Heroin laced with elephant tranquilizers hits the streets --CNN.com
- Obama Approves Addiction Treatment as Medically Necessary -- Financial Insider
- Day Five: State Gets Narcan Rebates --The Heroin Epidemic
- PREVENTING A FRIEND FROM DRIVING DRUNK --Shear Comfort
- The party’s over: ‘Sober dorms’ are on the rise - The Washington Post
- Not My Teen: Know the Difference Between “Purple Drank” & “Tussin” - Stop Medicine Abuse
- The Difficulty of Being Simone Biles - The Undefeated
- 8 Ways to Prevent Relapse - Heroin Addiction and Recovery - Heroin Addiction and Recovery - Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide
- Online petition with 5,700 signatures supports mandatory ‘recovery camps’ for drug addicts who overdose - Beacon Journal
- 5 Signs You Are Enabling A Family Member's Drug Addiction -DrugRehab.org
- How Do the New FDA Rules Affect You? -The NIDA Blog
- High School Drug Use Trends -Project Know
- Street Drug Combining Fentanyl and New Synthetic Opioid Poses Danger -Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
- How Addiction Turns Into a Family Disease -Amethyst Recovery Center - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Disorders
- Fentanyl-tainted pills wreaking havoc in Sacramento, Massachusetts and New Hampshire
- Our Opioid Crisis Reveals Deep Racial Bias In Addiction Treatment -TIME
- The Facing Addiction Action Plan & Educational Caucus for Addiction Solutions
- "9 Tips to Enhance your Child’s Healthcare Visits" -Caron Treatment Centers
- Billboard Combating Heroin Addiction Removed After Backlash -CBS Baltimore
- "New anti-overdose drug delivery system will save lives, docs and cops say" The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA
- What Is the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study? National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- How Parents Can Help Their Underage Kids Resist Alcohol : Shots Health News : NPR
- There is No Minimum Age for Addiction (Infographic) - Future of Personal Health
- Eight Questions From Teens About Drugs and Alcohol"
- Addiction Science | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Designer Drug Detective Work
- There is No Minimum Age for Addiction (Infographic) - Future of Personal Health
- Drug Abuse Prevention Starts with Parents - HealthyChildren.org
- "Signs and Symptoms of Fentanyl Abus
- very Pathways are not always a Pathway" William L. White
- Video: “How does Heroin,Opium and Morphine Drug works: Documentary
- "Middle School Drug Testing: Effective Deterrent or Overbearing Policy? "- ABC News
- "Senator calls for investigation of Purdue Pharma following Times story on OxyContin" - LA Times
- 5 Powers Of No - Reach Out Recovery
- "Heroin Crisis Results in More Grandparents Raising Grandchildren"
- "Ten Tips for Prevention for Parents"
- Commentary: Naloxone Use in Schools: School Nurses on the Front Lines - Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
- “Drug use trends remain stable or decline among teens” | National Institute on Drug Abuse: (NIDA)
- “Why Are So Many American Youth Abusing Adderall?”
- "How to Listen to Your Teen" - Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
Prevention strategies used by MPS staff with Dean Brouder
- Episode 1 "SADD" (Students Against Destructive Decisions) Guest: Jackie Rubino- Jackie has been a member of the Methuen High School staff for about 7 years. As well as being the advisor for MHS SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) since she began teaching! In this episode, Jackie gives us a breakdown of the prevention model, what SADD is and what it means and a little background into her life about her relative who struggled with substance abuse.
- Methuen Public Schools Cable Show- "Let's Talk with Dean Brouder" Click here to watch recent episodes online. . You may also watch the show on our Educational Channel, Comcast Xfinity Channel 99, Verizon Channel 31.
- Here is a list of the episodes.
- Episode 2 Guest: Anthony Sediri- Anthony had it good, or so we all thought. He wasn't part of a messed up family. He did not grow up in the projects. He grew up in a good area of North Andover. He was a straightedge high school sophomore, until he began drinking and using drugs at parties. Bottle after bottle, pill after pill, Anthony became addicted. Worse came to worse and he landed himself in jail. Now, Anthony is back on his feet, married and has a baby girl. In this episode, we learn how a normal high schooler gets caught up in the wrong crowd and makes bad decisions, leading him to the worst possible thing he could imagine.
- Episode 3 Guest: Shane Godek-Shane is currently a senior at Methuen High School. He has been a member of SADD for 5 years, beginning in 8th grade at the Tenny Grammar School. In this episode, this high school senior dispels the myth that all kids use substances, or drugs as parties and social events. Shane gives us some background on his life and how he was raised, pointing him in a positive direction for the future. He also gives us a glimpse into what colleges he has applied to and where he has been accepted. We wish you the best of luck, Shane!
- Episode 4 Guest: Patty Comeau-In this episode, we meet the School Nurse Leader, Patty Comeau. Patty tells us about the role the nurses play in the support of students struggling and dealing with addiction, mental illness, bullying, and/or substance abuse, etc. We learn that Patty has been a nurse with Methuen Public Schools for about 24 years. We also learn that there are two other nurses that assist Patty that are available during the day at the high school. Tune in to find out more information!
- Episode 5 Guest: Anthony Curet
- Episode 6 Guest: John Crocker
- Episode 7 Guest: Jeff Osgood
- Episode 8 Guest: Tom Walters -In this episode. we meet the Fine Arts Department Chair, Tom Walters. Tom gives us a taste of what the new Methuen High School has to offer in the Fine Arts Department. Tom tells us of the various activities and festivals the MHS Fine Arts Department does within the 2014-2015 school year.Episode 9 Guest:
- Episode 9 Guest: Steven Crowell-In this episode of "Lets Talk with Dean Brouder" Dean discusses with Steven Crowell from the Greater Lawrence Family Health Center the hot topic of Narcan. He talks about the effects of Narcan and what it does to reverse the symptoms or an opiate overdose.’’
Season 2 Episode 1 Guest: Doug Griffin: Dean Brouder talked with Doug Griffin, father from New Hampshire who lost his daughter Courtney to a drug overdose. He discusses the difficult times his entire family went through In the hopes he has an opportunity to educate and help others through similar situations. Doug and his family hope to open a sober house in Courtney's name.
Season 2 Episode 2 Guest: Chuck Rosa: Dean Brouder Invites Chuck Rosa from New Hampshire, Who has lost two sons to accidental drug overdose. Chuck and his family decided to turn this tragedy Into non-profit organization "Chucky's Fight." The primary focus is to educate Teens and young adults about the dangers of substance abuse. For more information, please visit www.chuckysfight.com
Season 2 Episode 3 Guest: Evelyn Rodriguez from the Methuen/ Lawrence Substance Abuse Coalition
"Season 2 Episode 4 Guest: Colleen Welch “Haven of Hope”
Season 3 Episode 1 Guest: Amanda Aziz-Dean Brouder Interviews Amanda Aziz, a graduate of Methuen High School about how the Methuen chapter of Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) played a role in her success. They also discuss her future plans and ambitions of being a college-level educator.
Season 3 Episode 2 Guest: Maryanne Frangules-Massachusetts Organization for Addiction Recovery (MOAR)- Maryanne Frangules, The executive director of MOAR explains in detail what the organization’s mission is and she explores some initiatives which Massachusetts is involved in. They provide education and awareness of the current epidemic of overdoses currently in the state. For more information visit the MOAR website.
14 previously taped shows- Archived episodes of "Let's Talk."
Community Education and Substance Abuse Services (This list is intended to provide our community with information related to all matters concerning substance abuse.)
- MOAR-Massachusetts Organization for Addiction Recovery
- SAMHDA—the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Data Archive!
- AddictionCenter.com- Guiding You From Rehab to Recovery
- 129aday.org- “We can change this national epidemic. Find resources here for prevention, treatment, recovery, and advocacy.”
- Learn to Cope - A support organization that offers education, resources, peer support and hope for parents and family members coping with a loved one addicted to heroin, opioids or other drugs
- Drugrehab.com (Information and answers for people fighting addiction)
- A Substance Abuse Guide for Parents (Drugrehab.com)
- Drug Screening Resources
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Treatment | Bright Futures - Spectrum Health Systems, Inc
- Bureau of Substance Abuse Services
- The Herren Project (Providing assistance in taking the first steps toward recovery and a life of sobriety, educational programs and resources to increase awareness on the signs of addiction and bring hope for a better tomorrow.)
- D.A.R.E. America - Empowering Children to Lead Safe and Healthy Lives
- Alcoholics Anonymous® (AA) (Over 100 meetings in Merrimack Valley Weekly)
- Narcotics Anonymous (NA) (Over 100 meetings in Merrimack Valley Weekly)
- Lahey Health Behavioral Services
- Massachusetts/Haverhill Drug Rehab Treatment Centers Directory
- DYS Northeast Region Community Resource Guide: Education, Employability and Social Services
- Arbour Health System-Private Behavioral Health. In Massachusetts
- The Psychological Center
- Merrimack Valley HUB-Search for Social Services in Massachusetts Merrimack Valley
- Merrimack Valley HUB-Search for Social Services in Massachusetts Merrimack Valley (Lowell, MA)
- Drugfree.org- "Where Families Find Answers."
- Treatment Centers in Methuen
- Top Methuen Addiction Recovery Centers: Reviews and Ratings
- WILDERNESS TREATMENT CENTER
- The Massachusetts Association for Community Action (MASSCAP)
- Intervention America-7 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service in Lowell MA
- Massachusetts/Methuen Drug Rehab Treatment-Centers Directory
- Friends and Family of Addicts Online Support Group
- Drug & Alcohol Detox Methuen MA
- Merrimack Valley Prevention And Substance Abuse Project
- Al-Anon/Alateen Family Groups in Massachusetts (If someone else's drinking troubles you)
- Compass Point Counseling
- Narcotics Anonymous Methuen MA
- CADCA AND COALITIONS "IMPROVING COMMUNITIES, SAVING LIVES."
Circle of Hope- A local support group for families of addicts. To attend one of the local meetings, contact Phil Lahey @ 978-886-2949.